Possible Reasons For Dropping the Baptist Name

illinoisguy

Elect
Reaction score
State GARBC association, Michigan Association of Regular Baptist Churches, has changed its name to "Bridge Fellowship:"

Interesting discussion on possible motivations for dropping the Baptist name:

"Regarding the name change, it could be meaningless marketing--a name change to catch the ear and maybe make the group seem more appealing--or it could be running away from some institutional sins for which the 'old name' is known. A great portion of the time, when a Baptist church foregoes the name 'Baptist', it's the latter. . . . A certain number of Baptists have foregone the name not because of the sins of their church per se, but rather because others have stunk up the name, e.g. the KJVO/Trail of Blood crowd)."

"Also of note is that where I grew up, a church called 'Fairhaven Baptist Church' made a stench of itself in my community to the point where people openly commented on people being 'deprogrammed' after having been there. . . . There's also a portion where the Baptist name gets sullied by sinful behavior, things like rulesism/legalism, KJVO arguments, and the like. And that's where those who change the name really need to ask themselves why."

"To me 'Bridge' just sounds like a contemporary 'next fad' name. It speaks nothing to the association. This is a bit weird."

There have been a number of churches here that have changed their names, dropping "Baptist" altogether from their signage and letterheads. One of the pastors explained that "it is more inviting to the public if we change to something that is more hip and mainstream." They implied that Jesus wouldn't mind as long as the doctrine was the same. The problem? The doctrine started out the same, but over a period of time became more contemporary and seeker sensitive. I'm not for these name changes even if the church lists "A Baptist/Baptistic Church" at the bottom of their signs and materials. This isn't going on in just the KJVO/Trail of Blood churches. Many SBC, Methodist, Lutheran, and even some Catholic churches are changing to this type of tactic.

Yeah, the main reason Charles Spurgeon was such a theological squish was that he didn't name his church "Metropolitan Baptist Tabernacle."

Our Church has changed its name from "Filipino Trinity Baptist Church" to "Sugar Grove Church" not to distance itself from being "Baptist" but to show ourselves as not being exclusive to the Filipino Community. Most are Filipino or have some "Connection" with the Filipino community (I am married a Filipina).

The "Baptist" moniker really means nothing though. It may distinguish a particular polity or heritage but doctrine is all over the place in Churches with the "Baptist" name and you never know what sort of whacked out nonsense they may be teaching! Doctrinal clarity is an absolute must and I believe every good Church should have a clear, solid "Statement of Faith" that is easily accessible by all who may request. Sometimes a Church name will be sufficient to run you off ("The Glorious, Miraculous. Fountain of Life Church, Sovereign Grace Landmark Baptist Church, Immaculate Conception Holy Catholic Church, Etc.) so I believe an unassuming name (relating to the community and stating that you are "Christian" and a "Church") is best.

Yeah, the main reason Charles Spurgeon was such a theological squish was that he didn't name his church "Metropolitan Baptist Tabernacle."
Yet the fact remains that the phenomenon potentially described in the OP would hardly have the doctrinal spine to ever espouse anything as meaty or baptistically doctrinal as….

"We believe that the Baptists are the original Christians. We did not commence our existence at thereformation, we were reformers before Luther or Calvin were born; we never came from the Church of Rome, for we were never in it, but we have an unbroken line up to the apostles themselves. We have always existed from the very days of Christ, and our principles, sometimes veiled and forgotten, like a river which may travel underground for a little season, have always had honest and holy adherents. Persecuted alike by Romanists and Protestants of almost every sect, yet there has never existed a Government holding Baptist principles which persecuted others; nor I believe any body of Baptists ever held it to be right to put the consciences of others under the control of man. We have ever been ready to suffer, as our martyrologies will prove, but we are not ready to accept any help from the State, to prostitute the purity of the Bride of Christ to any alliance with the government, and we will never make the Church, although the Queen, the despot over the consciences of men". (From The New Park Street Pulpit, Vol.VII, Page 225).

"History has hitherto been written by our enemies, who never would have kept a single fact about us upon the record if they could have helped it, and yet it leaks out every now and then that certain poor people called Anabaptists were brought up for condemnation. From the days of Henry II to those of Elizabeth we hear of certain unhappy heretics who were hated of all men for the truth's sake which was in them. We read of poor men and women, with their garments cut short, turned out into the fields to perish in the cold, and anon of others who were burnt at Newington for the crime of Anabaptism. Long before your Protestants were known of, these horrible Anabaptists, as they were unjustly called, were protesting for the 'one Lord, one faith, and one baptism.' No sooner did the visible church begin to depart from the gospel than these men arose to keep fast by the good old way. The priests and monks wished for peace and slumber, but there was always a Baptist or a Lollard tickling men's ears with holy Scriptures, and calling their attention to the errors of the times. They were a poor persecuted tribe. The halter was thought to be too good for them. At times ill-written history would have us think that they died out, so well had the wolf done his work on the sheep. Yet here we are, blessed and multiplied; and Newington sees other scenes from Sabbath to Sabbath.

As I think of your numbers and efforts, I can only say in wonder - what a growth! As I think of the multitudes of our brethren in America, I may well say, What hath God wrought! Our history forbids discouragement."—Yours Truly, Chuck

The "Baptist" moniker really means nothing though.

A minor quibble if I may. The name on the sign is still a beginning place for a denominator. Though you are correct, all things being equal, the name doesn’t guarantee that the packaging isn’t misleading. If I am at a vacation destination, or if I were transferred to another town, I know one metric that would assist me in scouting a potential assembly to plant my feet.

A minor quibble if I may. The name on the sign is still a beginning place for a denominator. Though you are correct, all things being equal, the name doesn’t guarantee that the packaging isn’t misleading. If I am at a vacation destination, or if I were transferred to another town, I know one metric that would assist me in scouting a potential assembly to plant my feet.
That's why you should probably do some research online and if it is a good Church (rather than the mile wide-inch deep crap with photos of model families with prozac smiles), you should get a good idea of what they truly believe although what you won't get possibly is an inbred mentality with cult-like characteristics but then again, the "sniff test" is still effective.

One of my favorite resources is the 9 Marks website which has been a big help for me if I am traveling and wondering where I might find a good Church. I recommend it to anyone looking for a good Church.

On the other hand, I think the opposite could be true as well. In some cases, the name “Baptist” (particularly if the fundamental portion is added), might immediately turn someone off from even a visit if they have had a negative experience in earlier life. My church is a good example of one that is fundamental, but I’ve not found them to have the more harsh judgmental atmosphere of other fundamental Baptist churches I’ve been exposed to in the past.

On the other hand, I think the opposite could be true as well. In some cases, the name “Baptist” (particularly if the fundamental portion is added), might immediately turn someone off from even a visit if they have had a negative experience in earlier life. My church is a good example of one that is fundamental, but I’ve not found them to have the more harsh judgmental atmosphere of other fundamental Baptist churches I’ve been exposed to in the past.
True, which goes to prove the point, in both directions, that the name is a fairly superficial metric of evaluation in the grand scheme of determining where to worship. Of course, it’s my opinion that most people looking for a Church aren’t looking for sound doctrine as their primary consideration but rather other cultural and social aspects. The mother of a good friend of mine just told me basically a story about her daughter, who was married to a Catholic but they left there to go to a Methodist church, and I’m sure it was some John Wesley or Martin Luther epiphany that led them there. 😎

Our Church has changed its name from "Filipino Trinity Baptist Church" to "Sugar Grove Church" not to distance itself from being "Baptist" but to show ourselves as not being exclusive to the Filipino Community. Most are Filipino or have some "Connection" with the Filipino community (I am married a Filipina).

The "Baptist" moniker really means nothing though. It may distinguish a particular polity or heritage but doctrine is all over the place in Churches with the "Baptist" name and you never know what sort of whacked out nonsense they may be teaching! Doctrinal clarity is an absolute must and I believe every good Church should have a clear, solid "Statement of Faith" that is easily accessible by all who may request. Sometimes a Church name will be sufficient to run you off ("The Glorious, Miraculous. Fountain of Life Church, Sovereign Grace Landmark Baptist Church, Immaculate Conception Holy Catholic Church, Etc.) so I believe an unassuming name (relating to the community and stating that you are "Christian" and a "Church") is best.
The Baptist name has negative connotations.

They went with bridge because CRU was already taken. :cool:

Same basic group of people who dropped anything 'baptist" from Cornerstone and the seminary.

Probably so. We should have Nuremberg trials for these people!
Shalom

In the dubious words or our esteemed colleague Phil Armenik:

Dr. Phil Armenik said:
Those who take Baptist off there sine are wicked evil ecumeaniacal compromisers who are on their way to Hell! Amen! Your probly calvaninistic and dont go solewinning ether! How many bus routs do you run and how many are save and baptize on Sunday? Amaskelated men henpick by there heifer wife who wear the breeches in the famaly and listin to jezebels like Joyce Meyer and Beth More! Repent and get rite with God you wicked pink tea lemonade sipping pansy! You probaly seat down too use the toliet to!
Dr Tony Hutson happened to be sitting in the congregation:
Dr Tony Hutson said:
HAAYMAYAN! THAT'S MY PREECHER!!!
Don't you just miss Dr. Phil?

In the dubious words or our esteemed colleague Phil Armenik:

Dr Tony Hutson happened to be sitting in the congregation:

Don't you just miss Dr. Phil?
Someone should feed that into an AI program!

It would be nice if this uneducated person could spell.
Dr. Phil was a forum sock puppet from many years ago, one of the best ones we’ve ever had. His owner was quite intellectually formidable. I doubt you would have wanted to spar with him, and I am sure he would not suffer you.